Growth Groups & Adult Education
Growth Groups are small groups that offer learning and sharing opportunities for adults in a casual atmosphere, or in a more structured class setting. A Growth Group is a safe place to ask deep faith questions – to learn more about God, The Bible, and yourself. They are also a great way to meet people
GROWTH GROUPS MISSION STATEMENT
Through small groups, classes, and other learning opportunities open to everyone, Growth Groups will strive to:
- Encourage and strengthen Biblical literacy,
- Promote application of the Christian faith to life experience,
- Develop awareness of spirituality in all facets of life,
- Encourage group members to share in leadership, and
- Build a sense of community among and through members and leaders.
Growth Group Opportunities
Other Opportunities for Adult Education
NEW TESTAMENT GROUP GOES ZOOM
The Adult New Testament group began meeting by Zoom call. The meeting occurs on the second and fourth Sundays of each month from 2:30-3:30 pm and will be repeated on the second and fourth Mondays of each month from 7:00-8:00 PM. The Monday meeting will cover the same material as the preceding Sunday’s meeting. The group will be studying the story of Jesus’ passion, death and resurrection as recorded in Luke and then move into the Book of Acts.
The Zoom format will provide a great opportunity for fellowship and interactive learning. If you’re missing the Sunday morning group meetings (or wish you would have joined) or are just looking for a chance to beat the quarantine blues and visit with other folks, we have a place for you! If you’re interested in participating, please contact Steve Davis by phone (937-885-0574) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Steve and Helen Davis will continue taping the group meetings and posting them on the private page of the website.
Social Justice Book Discussion Group
Meets monthly in-person at Southminster Presbyterian Church on the THIRD Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Due to the pandemic attendance is limited. Contact the church office to reserve a seat at the discussion. Masks are required.
- News of the World by Paulette Jiles
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man by Emmanuel Acho
- The Book of Longing by Sue Monk Kidd
- Punching the Air by Ibi Zboi and Yusef Salaam
- Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
- Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story About Racial Injustice by Marietta Collins Ph.D. and Ann Hazzard Ph.D. with Illustrations by Jennifer Zivoin
- Global Conflict (Children In Our World Series) by Louise Spilsbury and Illustrations by Hanane Kai
- Racism and Intolerance (Children In Our World Series) by Louise Spilsbury and Illustrations by Hanane Kai
Mom 2 Mom – for fellowship, support, and nurturing.
2nd and 4th Fridays,
9-11 a.m. in the Hospitality Room.
Contact: Cindy Battelle.
9:30 a.m. in the Community Room.
Contact: Irene Tipsword.
7 p.m. in the Adult Lounge.
Contact: Peggy Stichter or Barb Adams.